Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- 400g portobello mushrooms
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1 glass of vegan red wine (optional)
- 500ml soy or other non-dairy neutral flavoured milk
- 100g vegetable spread
- 100g flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Vegan parmesan (optional)
- Finely chop the mushrooms.
- Heat a sauté pan with some olive oil and add the carrot, celery, onion, bay leaf and rosemary.
- Season well and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add the tomato purée.
- Add the red wine if using, turn up the heat and reduce by half.
- Add the mushroom and tinned tomatoes and cook for a minute, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes while you make the white sauce.
- Heat the oven to 180c
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan and melt the vegetable spread. Whisk in the flour, yeast if using and nutmeg then slowly add the milk, whisking all the time until fully combined and smooth.
- Heat gently for ten minutes until thickened and shiny.
- Cut the aubergines into long thin sheets and put one layer in the bottom of a lasagne dish.
- Spoon over some of the mushroom sauce and a good layer of the white sauce and repeat until finished.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until golden on top and serve.