Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Coated in sticky dark soy sauce, Chinese wine and honey, these sticky, spicy mushroom skewers are a rich delight that work perfectly on a bed of noodles and griddled vegetables and works great as a BBQ alternative.
For the marinade
- 250g shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2cm piece root ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- Noodles, cooked
- Griddled vegetables
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms and stir well until they are coated in the marinade. Cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for at least 1 hour.
- Drain the marinade into a small pan and simmer for 1-2 mins until syrupy.
- Thread the mushrooms onto skewers then cook over hot barbecue coals or griddle or under a hot grill for about 10 mins, turning frequently and brushing with more of the marinade. Serve hot with noodles and char grilled peppers and courgettes.