Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
For the salad
- 450g button mushrooms
- 225g fresh small-leaf spinach
- 175g streaky bacon
- 1 avocado
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Grated lemon rind
- Pinch caster sugar
- Pinch dry mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pick over the spinach carefully and remove all stalks. Wash thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Grill the bacon until crisp. Leave to cool then cut into small pieces.
- Arrange the spinach in a large bowl.
- Halve the avocado, remove stone and skin and slice thinly. Toss in lemon juice.
- Arrange avocado slices on the spinach. Add mushrooms, bacon and chives.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.