Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 150g bottled roasted red peppers (packed in brine), drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- A few drops balsamic vinegar
- 4 thick slices rustic-style bread, such as ciabatta
- 4 x 150g skinless cod fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rocket or salad leaves
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic, mushrooms and spring onions, sautéing them over a medium-low heat until very soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped peppers and sun-dried tomato paste. Add a few drops of balsamic vinegar and season to taste.
- Spread the pieces of bread with half the mushroom mixture, then arrange them in a baking dish or on a baking sheet. Top each one with a cod fillet, then spread the remaining mushroom mixture on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked – the flesh should flake easily when tested with a fork. Serve, garnished with rocket or salad leaves.