Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Filled with goodness including many antioxidants including Vitamin C and served with a poached egg, this is a great lightweight treat to cook up any time of the day when your’e craving a little flavour.
- 150g closed cup mushrooms, halved or sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and roughly chopped
- ½ lemon, juice
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the mushrooms for 3-4 mins until golden.
- Push the mushrooms to one side of the pan and add the tomato slices. Fry on both sides for about 30 secs.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado and lemon with a fork. Mix in the spring onion and season.
- Meanwhile bring a shallow pan of water to a gentle simmer and drop the eggs in one at a time. Cook for a minute and then turn off the heat. Leave the eggs in the pan until just set or longer if you prefer them more well done.
- Spread the avocado mix onto the toast. Add the tomato slices, mushrooms and top with the egg.
-TIP- For an extra kick to your delicious mushroom brunch, drizzle chili sauce over the poached egg.