Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Try out this mouth-watering meat alternative bolognese by following this tasty recipe that features deeply rich and earthy flavours of unami mushrooms instead to make for a great vegetarian meal!
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 100ml red wine
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 2 thyme sprigs, chopped
- 10g basil, stalks and leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tsp tomato puree
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes until soft. Now add the mushrooms, pepper, thyme, basil stalks and bay leaves. Continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine, stock and tinned tomatoes. Season with salt and milled pepper to taste and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When ready add chopped fresh basil and serve with freshly cooked spaghetti and a grating of parmesan cheese.