Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
A lovely little classic, the famous mac n cheese has undergone a slight revamp to add another ingredient of closed cup mushrooms to its mix to add an earthy and juicy flavour to complete the dish.
- 250g closed-cup mushrooms, quartered if large
- 225g macaroni
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 500ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 60g mild blue cheese, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 30g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 30g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10-12 minutes, or according to packet instructions until almost al dente.Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan and cook the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Tip the cooked mushrooms into the bowl of pasta and set aside. Return the empty pan to the heat.
- Melt the butter in the pan, stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the milk and bring to the boil. Simmer until thickened.
- Add the mustard and blue cheese, seasoning to taste and stir until the cheese has melted. Add the cooked mushroom and macaroni and stir thoroughly. Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the cheddar cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle this over the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling hot. Serve immediately.