Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Sprinkle finely diced mushrooms into delicious lamb mince for a twist on a tried and tested classic, topped with a healthy dashing of potatoes in this creamy and indulgent pie.
- 400g button mushrooms, finely diced by hand, or in a food processor
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 400g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400ml beef stock
- 600g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 75g butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Sauté the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for a few minutes. Add the lamb and mushrooms, cooking on a medium high heat for 10 minutes. Season well and stir occasionally.
- Add the tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 1 more minute, then add the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until soft, drain and leave to cool a little. Mash with the butter.
- Tip the meat and mushroom mince into an oven dish and top with the mash potato. Make ridges all over with the tines of a fork. Dot a little butter and black pepper over the mash.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Serve with steamed lemon broccoli.