Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Made with blended closed-cup mushrooms, which adds a deep and flavoursome unami taste, this Mushroom Blend Lasagne tastes very rich with its blend of beef, mushrooms and cheese.
For the beef and mushroom mince
- 200g closed-cup mushrooms, finely diced by hand or in a food processor
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 400g minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin of plum tomatoes
For the white sauce
- 75g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 650ml milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Good pinch of black pepper
For the lasagne
- 250g pack of lasagne sheets
- Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Heat a saucepan with a little olive oil and cook the onion, carrot and celery until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the herbs, season well before adding the mince and mushrooms. Cook on high for a couple of minutes to brown the meat.
- Add the tomato purée, stir well and add the tinned tomatoes. Simmer on a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the white sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan and gently whisking in the flour to combine. Slowly add the milk on a medium heat, whisking all the while. Add the nutmeg, bay leaf and pepper. Cook gently for a few minutes until thick and glossy.
- Layer a lasagne dish with some pasta sheets, top with a layer of the beef and mushroom mince and pour over a ladleful of white sauce with some grated parmesan. Repeat all the layers until you have used up all the ingredients. The final layer should be white sauce sprinkled with lots of parmesan and cracked black pepper.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes until golden and bubbling. Leave to cool a little and serve with a green salad.