Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- 200g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 aubergine, finely chopped
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Italian mixed dried herbs
- 300g dried spaghetti
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, aubergine and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, stock and dried herbs. Stir well. Simmer, partially covered, for 25-30 minutes, adding a little extra water if needed.
- After 15 minutes, cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling water for 10-12 minutes, or according to pack instructions. When it’s ready, stir the cherry tomatoes into the Bolognese sauce. Season.
- Drain the spaghetti and share it between 4 warm plates. Top with the Bolognese sauce and serve, garnished with basil leaves.
- Use egg-free pasta to make this a delicious vegan dish