Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Sneak some yummy vegetables into a family favourite by serving a traditional sausage toad-in-the whole with mushrooms and sweetcorn as well as silky smooth mash that is sure to please every diner.
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 8 – 12 chipolata sausages
- 100g sweetcorn
- 100g frozen peas
- 2tbsp olive oil
For the batter
- 150g plain flour, sieved
- 3 large eggs
- 300g milk
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Mashed potato
- Preheat your oven to 210c.
- Firstly, make the batter by simply whisking all the ingredients together until smooth. Season with a little salt and milled pepper and set aside until needed.
- Tip the sausages into a medium sized roasting tin drizzle with 1tbsp of olive oil, cook in the oven for about 5 minutes then add the mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Scatter over the sweetcorn and peas then pour in the batter. Pop straight into the oven and cook for about 30 minutes until well risen and golden in colour.
- Serve with some gravy and mashed potato.