Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 340g uncooked Arborio rice
- 1.25 litres hot chicken stock
- 25g butter
- 250g roasted chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the onions and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes to soften them. Stir in the rice, mix well and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and start pouring in the stock, about 250ml at a time. Add more stock as each addition is absorbed. Continue in this manner for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked al dente and the stock is absorbed. (All the stock may not be needed.)
- Whilst the risotto rice is cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry mushrooms on a high heat for about 5 minutes until golden. Season well and set aside.
- Stir the cooked mushrooms into the rice along with the butter and chopped chicken. Heat through gently and season to taste.
- Sprinkle over the fresh thyme and serve.