Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
For the mushrooms
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- Olive oil, splash
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Small bunch of thyme, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, juice
For the mac n cheese
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pint whole milk
- Mozzarella, 2 balls
- 150g taleggio
- Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 500g macaroni, cooked
- ½ lemon, juice
- Quarter your mushrooms. Add to a pan with a splash of olive oil. Fry until brown, and then add the sliced garlic and a handful of sliced thyme leaves. Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice in. Mix everything together. Once the garlic begins to go brown, remove everything from the bowl and set aside.
- In to the pan, add 5 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of plain flour. Whisk it together. Then start adding your whole milk, bit by bit, whisking it in. Keep adding milk until you have a smooth white sauce.
- Get your macaroni cooking – follow pack instructions.
- At this point, crumble in the mozzarella and 100g of the taleggio. Stir it in until it melts, and you have a smooth white sauce.
- Re-add your mushrooms and add small bunch of parsley. Mix it in.
- At this point, drain your cooked macaroni and add to the sauce. Mix it in. Season with salt and pepper and add a big squeeze of lemon juice. Smooth out the top of the mac and cheese, and then add your remaining taleggio.
- Place under the grill until the taleggio is golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, serve it up, scatter over some more chopped parsley and enjoy!