Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
This Mixed Mushroom Stroganoff is the perfect vegetable based winter warmer. It’s rich stock made with white wine is deep with flavour and seasoned to perfection.
For the stroganoff
- 500g mixed mushrooms, such as chestnut, button, closed cup etc., halved or quartered depending on size
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed and finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 150ml white wine
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 100g cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 200g crème fraiche
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Brown rice or cauliflower rice
- Heat the oil in a large, shallow pan and add the leeks and pepper. Fry for 3-4 minutes until just softened.
- Add the mushrooms and keep cooking until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic, tomato and paprika and cook for a further minute, before adding the wine, stock, chestnuts and crème fraiche. Season well.
- Simmer for a further 4-5 minutes until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and a wedge of lemon.