Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Wake up to the perfect breakfast butty to start the day. Filled with the essentials; mushrooms, bacon, tomato and crunchy lettuce, this is the perfect lazy day brunch meal.
- 4 large portobello or large field mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 crusty ciabatta rolls
- ½ a lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices of streaky bacon
- Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and season, then cook over hot barbecue coals or a griddle pan for 8-10 mins turning once until browned on both sides and tender when tested with a fork. Transfer to a plate, gill side down and leave for 5 mins.
- Grill or fry the streaky bacon slices with a little oil until crispy and brown.
- Toast the ciabatta rolls on the hot barbecue coals or under the grill.
- Fill the rolls with lettuce, tomato and top with the mushrooms and bacon.
- Finish off with a dollop of BBQ sauce, ketchup or mustard to suit your taste.