Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Cook up a tasty twist to a Indian classic by adding spicy mushrooms to a soft and tender lamb balti. Marinate the meat in advance to achieve robust flavours and then whip up quickly in the evening for a treat.
For the balti
- 675g closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 350g neck fillet of lamb, cut into small cubes
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and cut into strips
- 1 red chilli pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
For the marinade
- 6 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Stir in lamb. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep, round-bottomed frying pan, (karahi) or wok. Add lamb, leaving excess marinade in bowl. Cook lamb for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in peppers, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the mushrooms and tomato purée. Cook for a further 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve immediately whilst still hot.