Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Nothing warms the soul better than a stew and this Italian recipe of lentils, mushrooms and beef is sure to hit the spot this winter. With a preparation time of only five minutes, you can knock this up for the family in no time.
- 400g button mushrooms
- 600g beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large carrots
- 3 rosemary stalks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef stock (or water)
- 400g can green lentils
- Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and brown the beef (you may need to do this in batches) remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Next add another tbsp of olive oil and the mushrooms and cook until crispy and browned on the outside. Reduce the heat and add the onions, garlic, carrots, bay and rosemary. Cook until the onions have softened, about 10 mins.
- Turn the heat up and add the balsamic, tomato paste and chopped tomatoes. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding lentils, stock and returning meat to the pan. Season. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes
- Check for seasoning and serve.