Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
A great light summer dish or perfect healthy meal option, this crunchy salad is sure to deliver in only a short cooking time. Serve with a tangy sesame, lime and sweet chilli dressing.
For the salad
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Chinese leaf or ½ white cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 4 spring onions, shredded
- Handful coriander leaves, torn
- Few mint leaves, finely sliced
- ¼ cucumber, cut into strips
- Handful of pea shoots
- 20g pickled ginger, finely chopped
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 50g roast salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ punnet mustard cress
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes until starting to brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the salad. Add the mushrooms.
- In a jar, mix together all the ingredients for the dressing, and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix together well. Sprinkle over the peanuts, sesame seeds and cress to serve.