Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Put down the sugar and lemon and try these zesty savoury pancakes topped with mushrooms, pancetta and courgette that are perfect for any time of the day.
For the pancakes
- 80g closed-cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 150g plain flour
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g pancetta cubes
- 1 courgette, spiralised
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove, very finely sliced
- Handful of hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Handful of parsley
- Heat a sauté pan with a little oil. Fry the pancetta with the garlic until both are crisp and golden. Add the courgette spirals, lemon juice and zest and set aside.
- Make up the pancake batter by whisking together the mushrooms, flour, milk, egg, salt and baking powder.
- Heat up a non-stick pan with a little butter. Pour in a ladleful of the mixture into the pan to create a 10cm wide pancake. Fit as many as you can in the pan. Cook gently on a low heat until bubbles form on the surface and the underside is golden. Flip until golden on the other side. Repeat until you finish the batter (about 8).
- Top the pancakes with the pancetta and courgette mix, sprinkle with chilli flakes, hazelnuts and parsley. Serve immediately.