Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Build on the traditional Mexican classic by adding a few adjustments including the rich earthy tones of mushroom. With delicious melted cheese and subtle spicy kick, this is a great twist on an old classic.
- 300g closed cup, button or chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into bitesize chunks
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 large flour tortilla wraps
- 200g cheddar, grated
- Salsa, guacamole and sour cream
- Heat some oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and red pepper and cook for 1 minute more. Add chicken, cumin, chilli powder, salt and pepper and stir until all spices are incorporated.
- Lay a tortilla wrap on the work surface and add a quarter of the grated cheese evenly across the wrap, spoon half the chicken and mushroom mixture on top of the cheese and again spread evenly. Then add the remaining cheese before placing another wrap on top.
- Wipe a small amount of oil across a large non-stick pan using kitchen roll, before heating the pan over a medium heat. Carefully place one quesadilla in pan and cook for three minutes on each side until the cheese has melted and the quesadilla is lightly browned.
- Repeat with second quesadilla. Cut into quarters and serve.