Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- 300g closed-cup mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 sourdough or tiger bread loaf
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g cheddar cheese
- A handful of spring onions, chopped
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Heat a pan on medium, add some butter and once melted, add the crushed garlic cloves and the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until brown, season with black pepper and set aside.
- Cut the bread lengthwise and width wise so the top is a criss-cross pattern, being careful not to cut through the base.
- Put the bread on to a foil-lined baking tray, and push grated cheese in between the cuts, before pouring the buttered mushrooms in to the cuts. Sprinkle over spring onions before wrapping the loaf in foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes before removing the foil and baking for a further ten minutes, or until the cheese is melted.