Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
With the addition of the subtle flavours coming from the closed cup mushrooms, this beef and mushroom spaghetti dish is a wonderful Italian treat to indulge in for dinner.
- 350g closed cup mushrooms, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml red wine
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml beef or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooked spaghetti
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or pan; add the mince and onion and sauté over a high heat for 5 mins until the mince is lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for a further 3 mins.
- Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 mins, removing the lid halfway through cooking or until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce lovely and thick.
- Remove bay leaf, adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with freshly cooked spaghetti.