Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- 8 portobello mushrooms, kept whole
- 1 aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 150g mature Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Put the mushrooms, gills facing up, into a roasting tin.
- Take 8 slices from the aubergine (crossways, not lengthways), then chop any remaining aubergine finely.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan and briefly fry the aubergine slices for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan and cook the onion, pepper and chopped aubergine for 5-6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook gently for another 1-2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon half the tomato mixture into the mushrooms and top with a slice of aubergine. Spoon the rest of the tomato mixture on top, then sprinkle with the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve 2 mushrooms per person.
- It helps if you can select mushrooms that are about the same size.